Trump Picks Ex-Pharma Exec Alex Azar to Head HHS
President Donald Trump today announced that he is nominating former pharmaceutical company executive Alex Azar II to head the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and preside over the execution – either the elimination or implementation – of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Like Trump, Azar takes a dim view of the law. In television interviews, Azar has called the ACA “a fundamentally broken system” that was “failing completely on its own terms, and nobody impacted it from the outside.”
Mumps Makes a Comeback, Even Among the Vaccinated
If you think you’ve been seeing mumps in the news more often in the past couple of years, you’re absolutely right.
“Mumps outbreaks are on the rise,” said Dr. Janell Routh, a pediatrician who is a medical officer on the mumps team at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 6,000 cases of mumps were reported in the United States last year, the highest number in 10 years. Around 2010, total annual cases were down in the hundreds.
The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey – review
Time was when scientific revolutions – the discoveries of Newton, Faraday, Darwin, Einstein, Watson and Crick – reverberated around the globe. But although we are living through the greatest discoveries about the processes of life generally, and human beings in particular, the new findings hardly rate a blip on the collective consciousness. In March 2010 Oliver Burkeman wrote for this paper on the subject of epigenetics. The article was provocatively titled: “Why everything you’ve been told about evolution is wrong.” It isn’t, but I confidently predicted to anyone within earshot that this would finally set tongues wagging.
Monsanto Was Its Own Ghostwriter for Some Safety Reviews
Monsanto Co. started an agricultural revolution with its “Roundup Ready” seeds, genetically modified to resist the effects of its blockbuster herbicide called Roundup. That ability to kill weeds while leaving desirable crops intact helped the company turn Roundup’s active ingredient, the chemical glyphosate, into one of the world’s most-used crop chemicals. When that heavy use raised health concerns, Monsanto noted that the herbicide’s safety had repeatedly been vetted by outsiders. But now there’s new evidence that Monsanto’s claims of rigorous scientific review are suspect.
Frameless Stereotaxic Surgery Can Go Off Course, FDA Warns
Surgeons who use frameless stereotaxic navigation systems need to address accuracy problems with this technology that have led to serious injuries and death, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced today.
The FDA emphasized that the benefits of these navigation systems still outweigh their risks. In addition, the agency has not determined that some systems are riskier than others.
Movement to Remove Fluoride From US Water Supplies Continues
- While water fluoridation is purported to decrease your risk of dental cavities, fluoride needs to be applied topically for this to work. It doesn’t benefit your teeth when swallowed
- Swallowing fluoride displaces iodine from your thyroid, as iodine and fluoride are both halogens. Without iodine, you cannot make active thyroid hormones, raising your risk for hypothyroidism
- Fluoride is a mitochondrial poison that sabotages your mitochondria’s ability to create cellular energy in the form of ATP, and an enzymatic reactor, meaning it reacts with enzymes in your body
Healthcare: “Insurance” Now Just Means Redistribution
Americans have been fighting over health insurance reform for ages. For example, 25 years ago, in 1992, over 200 congressional health care bills were introduced.
Unfortunately, while the rhetoric has focused on insurance, such as how many would supposedly gain or lose insurance if some change was implemented, that has not been the real issue. Income redistribution has. As Henry Aaron estimated that year, implementing a comprehensive national health insurance system would redistribute more income than any single national policy then in existence.
New Studies Reveal Vaccine Harm
- Two new studies offer evidence that vaccinated children have more health problems than unvaccinated children
- Among unvaccinated premature infants, no link to neurodevelopmental disorders (NDD) was found. However, a significant link between vaccinations and NDD was detected, regardless of whether the child was premature or full-term
- The combination of preterm birth with vaccination was associated with a 660 percent increased odds of NDD, suggesting a synergistic effect
By Dr. Mercola
When it comes to vaccine safety, a complaint that I’ve frequently expressed is the lack of credible studies comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated populations.
Medical studies are almost always bogus
How many times have you encountered a study — on, say, weight loss — that trumpeted one fad, only to see another study discrediting it a week later?
That’s because many medical studies are junk. It’s an open secret in the research community, and it even has a name: “the reproducibility crisis.”
The Cholesterol Myth Has Been Busted — Yet Again
- A 40-year-old previously unpublished trial shows that while replacing saturated fat with vegetable oil lowered total cholesterol by 14 percent, for every 30 point drop in total cholesterol there was a 22 percent increased chance of death
- Many other trials have also found that replacing saturated fats with vegetable oils increase mortality risk from all causes, including coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease
- Processed vegetable oils contribute to devastating attacks to your health and attacks your brain in several ways, thereby contributing to and worsening neurologic disorders
By Dr. Mercola
For the past four decades, the U.S. government has warned that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs would raise your LDL cholesterol (inappropriately referred to as “bad” cholesterol) and promote heart disease.
Big Pharma Channeled Opioids to Black Market
The opioid overdose epidemic in the U.S. killed more than 33,000 people in 2015, which is more than any other year on record, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
While the opioids referenced include both heroin and prescription opioids, nearly half of overdose deaths involve the prescription drugs.
How Soil Microbes and Intercellular Communication Affects Human Health
Your health is in large part determined by the health of the soil in which your food is grown. In this interview, Dr. Zach Bush delves into the many reasons why this is so.
Bush, who is triple board-certified in internal medicine, endocrinology and metabolism, and hospice and palliative care has done some fascinating and innovative research in this area and is one of the brightest physicians I have ever met.